Tales of children stolen away and replaced by monsters exist across countless cultures but the true monsters are the hag mothers of these strange children. After the hag seduces, uses, and disposes of their father, the Changeling child is usually abandoned in their father's community to be raised among them. Such a child faces no end of challenges, often beginning life as an orphaned outsider.
Though a changeling generally resembles a member of their father's ancestry, their distinctive eyeseach a different colorset them apart. One of their eyes matches that of their father's lineage, while the other matches the color of their hag mother's, often in an unnatural shade such as violet or a vivid green. Not everyone with differently colored eyes is a changeling, but this manifestation of changeling heritage makes it difficult for them to Hide their Nature and can lead to banishment from their community. As they come of age, they manifest other characteristics from their mother, including supernatural abilities. Darkvision, clawlike fingernails, and innate magic are the most common, but stranger abilities specific to the hag mother can also arise.
Changelings can be any gender, but women in particular are vulnerable to the Call, a psychic influence that urges them to abandon their mortal life, join the hag's Coven, and eventually become a hag. Changelings who understand their heritage often fear the Call and work to resist its pull. Those who remain ignorant of their origin may find themselves subject to a terrible compulsion without knowing why.
- Cherish and protect those friends and family who accept you as you are.
- Seek to better understand your hag mother and the gifts she gave you, for good or ill, or distance yourself from your heritage.
- Fear the day you hear the Call and worry you might not be able to resistor perhaps you already fight to resist it every day.
- Assume you practice occult or primal magic, or that you participate in a coven.
- Worry that you might secretly be a monster, or become one, and turn on them.
- Notice and speculate about your distinctive eyes.
At 1st level, you gain one ancestry feat, and you gain an additional ancestry feat every 4 levels thereafter (at 5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th levels). You select from among the following ancestry feats.
|Accursed Claws||9||claw unarmed attack||—|
|Occult Resistance||9||expert in Occultism||—|